To obtain a library card, ask for a form at the library and fill it out. Applications for individuals under 18 years of age must be returned by a parent or guardian to verify parental consent. There is no charge for Shelby County residents. Nonresidents must pay a $30 fee . The nonresident fee is waived for those who work in the county. You need to bring valid identification with your current address, such as a driver's license or a utility bill.
1. Patrons must use their own library card to check out materials. Most books may be checked out for two weeks. Two-week books may be renewed twice if no one else has reserved the book. If not overdue or on reserve for another patron, renewable items may be renewed by accessing the patron account online at www.pelhamlibrary.com or by calling 205-669-3928. Overdue fine for a two-week item is $.10 per day.
2. Popular (NEW) titles have a 14-day checkout period and are NOT renewable. The overdue fine is $1.00 per day.
3. Magazines, music CD's, books on CD and books with accompanying cassettes may be checked out for two weeks and can be renewed once. The overdue fine for these items is $.10 per day.
4. Adults (18 years and older) may check out up to 20 DVDs for three days. New DVDs cannot be renewed. Adults may also check out two video games for three days. DVDs and video games may be renewed one time for three days. The overdue fine for DVDs and video games is $2.00 per day. DVDs and video games may be returned through our outside media drop.
5. PARENTS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR THE SELECTION OF APPROPRIATE ITEMS FOR THEIR CHILDREN. Parents are also responsible for any item checked out by a child under the age of 18.
6. Reserved books and interlibrary loan items will be held on the HOLDS shelf for 24 hours following notification.
7. Books on tape and books with cassettes may be returned through the outside bookdrop. If they are returned damaged through the bookdrop, patron will be charged the replacement cost of the item(s).
8. Books checked out from a Shelby County library may be returned to any library in Shelby County (Alabaster, Calera, Chelsea, Columbiana, Harrison Regional, Harpersville, Helena, Montevallo, Mt. Laurel, North Shelby, Vincent, Westover and Wilsonville). Any items other than books (videos, DVDs, compact disks, books on tape, magazines, video games) must be returned to the library where they were checked out. A $5 fee will be charged for Shelby County Library items that are returned to an out-of-county library.
9. No eating or smoking is allowed in the library.
10. Inappropriate behavior will not be tolerated in the library. Please be courteous of others while using the library.
11. Cell phone is not permitted inside the library building.
12. The library is not responsible for any damage to personal equipment caused by library DVDs, video games or CDs.
13. Parents should be aware that the library is concerned for the safety of children who visit the library. Children under the age of 12 must be accompanied by someone 18 years old or older while in the library. Parents/guardians/caregivers of children under the age of 6 must always be on the same floor of the library as the child.
A copy of the rules is given to everyone who applies for a library card. When you sign the application you agree to abide by these rules.
Computer Center Acceptable Use Policy
1. Each computer user must have a valid Shelby County Library card in good standing. The card number is required each time the user signs in for computer use.
2. It is understood by the computer user that the right to privacy was waived when the acceptable use policy was signed during library card registration. The computers are monitored by the library staff and records are kept of computer usage.
3. The user signing in must be the actual user. Patrons may not share, loan or borrow library cards.
4. Each user can sign up for a one-hour session.
5. No pre-registration is allowed for computer use.
6. Users must be at their workstation during the time assigned to them. We will not hold or reserve a workstation.
7. Computer users must not attempt to alter any software or hardware settings, attempt to breach computer security or damage the equipment in any way.
8. Each user is responsible for all computer equipment, resources and cost of printouts. Printouts are 10 cents each and must be paid for at the release station before they will be printed. Color printouts are $1.
9. The library assumes no responsibility for documentation of information retrieved from the Internet. The library assumes no responsibility for loss of information on diskettes, disks or other storage devices.
10. One person per workstation unless a parent is assisting a child.
11. No inappropriate behavior will be tolerated. Inappropriate behavior includes but is not limited to the following:
Rough-housing or rowdy play
Loud and disruptive talking
Any act that endangers others or computer equipment
Viewing and/or displaying inappropriate material.
12. All computers will be turned off 30 minutes prior to library closing.
13. Staff will assist with computers as time allows, but cannot offer personal instruction.
14. Failure to comply with the acceptable use policy may result in disciplinary action up to and including termination of computer center privileges at the discretion of the library director. Restoration of computer center privileges will be determined by the Pelham Public Library Board.
15. Children under the age of 18 must have the written permission of their parents or guardians to use the computer center. Children under the age of 12 must be accompanied by a responsible adult (18 years or older.) Interpretation of the acceptable use policy guidelines is at the library director’s discretion. Final authority of any disputed interpretation rests with the Library Board.
Meeting Room Policy
The public meeting room of the Pelham Public Library is provided to the general public for use in programs of an informative, educational, cultural, or civic nature. Preference is given to Shelby County residents. Use of the public meeting room must in no way infringe upon the normal operations of the library. Final authority regarding the interpretation of guidelines for use of the meeting room rests with the Pelham Library Board. Maximum capacity for the meeting room is 30 people.
1. Meetings promoting the sale of a commercial product or service.
2. Meetings promoting the interests of an individual including but not limited to private parties such as birthday parties, showers, wedding receptions, anniversary parties, etc.
3. Meetings which interfere with the functions of the library due to noise or any other disturbance.
4. Meetings held before or after regular hours of operation for the library.
Rules and Regulations
Any organization using the Pelham Public Library meeting room agrees to the following:
1. Meeting must be held during normal operating hours of the library. Meeting must conclude 15 minutes prior to closing of the library. Due to limited parking, meetings may not be held during times deemed to be peak hours when parking is at a premium. The Library Director will determine what times constitute sufficient parking.
2. The meeting room is reserved on a first come, first serve basis. Bookings are not accepted more than 30 days in advance. No standing reservations may be made.
3. Application must be accompanied by a fee of $25.00 if refreshments are to be served.
4. The library is not responsible for items left in the meeting room. Storage space is not available.
5. Library or municipal programs take precedence over any and all other programs.
6. All meetings in the library meeting room must be free and open to the public. Groups using the room may not charge admission, sell items, or request donations for attendance or participation.
7. Smoking is not allowed.
8. The name or address of the library is not to be used in handouts or advertising of any kind except as a source of location. No group may use the library as a mailing address. Groups may not use the library’s phone number as a contact for program information.
9. Any advertising, publicity, or other announcement must be approved by the Library Director in advance.
10. The library does not endorse the views of groups meeting in the facility. The library does not sponsor/support the various groups using the meeting room and publicity announcing meetings should in no way imply library sponsorship.
11. Meetings of groups or individuals under 18 years of age must have an adult sponsor in attendance. Children 12 years and under must have a parent or guardian in the library. Children 6 and younger must have a parent or guardian on the same floor.
12. Groups or organizations using this meeting space may not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, sex, religion, age, or disabled status in the provision of services.
13. Signs, decorations, or other objects are not to be taped or attached to walls or doors in any manner. No equipment or furniture is to be removed from the meeting room. Groups using the room are responsible for reimbursing the library for any damage to library furniture or equipment.
14. Instructors who charge a fee cannot reserve the room.
15. Violation of these rules may result in the loss of meeting room privileges.
16. The Pelham Library Board reserves the right to cancel the use of the meeting room for any organization if a majority of the Board feels that the organization does not fall within the guidelines of these policies for use of the public meeting room.
A printable, signable copy of this agreement is available here.